As the 1950s progresses the Harris Institute begins to look towards a future focused on higher education.
During the late 1940s there had been moves to divide further education in Preston. In 1949 the local authority agreed plans for the development of a central college “associated with the name Harris” which would concentrate on higher-level education for the over-18s.
Lower-level education for younger students would be provided by separate institutions from now on.
By the turn of the decade progress towards a future focused on higher education was well underway.
The Harris Institute was producing around six London University graduates every year. Following an inspection by the University in 1952, the Institute was approved for further degree subjects: Electronics and Electrical Measurements and Measuring Instruments.
Recruitment for courses leading to Apprenticeship of the Royal Institute of Chemistry was also growing. By the mid-1950s there were plans for a new five-year degree for student apprentices in engineering, with full-time attendance in the later stages.